Best Machete for Survival: My Top 7 Picks
Whether you’re a survivalist, a prepper, or just an outdoor enthusiast who likes to be prepared for anything, having the right tools is essential. And one of the most important tools you can have in your arsenal is a machete.
A machete is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of tasks, from cutting down branches and clearing a path to harvesting crops and gathering firewood. But with so many different types of machetes on the market, how do you know which one is the best for your needs?
In this article, I’ll be taking a look at the different types of machetes available, the features to look for when buying a machete, and my top 7 picks for the best machete for survival.
What is a Machete?
A machete is a large, broad-bladed knife that can be used for a variety of tasks. It is a versatile tool that can be used for chopping, slicing, and cutting through thick vegetation and even small trees. It is a popular tool for farmers, gardeners, and outdoor enthusiasts alike.
The machete is a surprisingly ancient tool, with its roots going back to the Aztecs and Mayans. It is thought that the design of the machete was influenced by the swords and knives of Spanish conquistadors. The machete quickly spread throughout the world and is now used in many different cultures for a variety of tasks.
My Top 7 Picks for the Best Machete for Survival
Cold Steel 97AD21S Latin D-Guard Machete
- With a non-slip, hard-wearing Polypropylene handle, and 1055 Carbon Steel blade, this machete is perfect in almost any environment from the jungle to the farm
- Combines the amazing cutting power of the Latin Machete with the incomparable hand protection of our Cutlass Machete
- Thick solid steel full tang runs all the way through the D-ring guard to give a safe and secure grip and the entire handle is fully encased in tough, durable and weatherproof injection molded polypropylene
- Made of tough and durable 1055 Carbon Steel with black baked-on anti-rust matte finish for extra protection
Gerber Gator Machete
- Blade Steel: High Carbon steel. Riveted, nylon sheath included
- 18 inch blade features a full performance saw on one side, a 15 inch fine edge blade on the other
- Handle Material: Gator Grip overmold, Sheath Material: Nylon
- Overall Length: 25.7 Inch, Weight: 18 oz
- Gator grip rubberized handle for comfort and control
SOGFARI – 18″ MACHETE
- The SOGfari 18-inch machete (model MC-02) is an exciting addition to the SOG Specialty Knives and Tools family.
- Machetes are one of the more useful edged tools in the world, perfect for clearing brush, blazing trails, chopping wood, harvesting crops, making shelters, preparing meals, and more.
- Careful attention has been given to the SOGFari to make sure that the weight was right and the handles were comfortable for extended use. Whip it through the air and hear it sing.
Fiskars 29 Inch Machete Axe
- 18 inch blade is ideal for clearing thick brush, chopping roots, cutting branches and palms and more in your yard and garden
- Axe-like blade head provides powerful, controlled chopping and splitting
- Blade curve offers pull-cutting great for removing suckers and clearing vines
- Includes nylon carrying sheath
- Lifetime warranty
Hooyman Bush, Kukri, and
Hook ’em Machete
- 100% Steel
- Made in the USA or Imported
- DIMENSIONS: 20.25 inches L x 2.75 inches W x 1.25 inches D and weighs 1.6 lbs
- DURABLE: Blade is constructed of 3CR13 stainless steel with a refined edge for a dependable cut in all situations
- RELIABLE: Features the new, no-slip, H-Grip on the ergonomic handle that turns tacky when wet to ensure a secure grip in all conditions
- BE PREPARED: Blade features a balanced design for cutting fresh vegetation and the handle features a peg hole for hanging and storing when not in use
CRKT Halfachance Fixed Blade Parang Machete
- Enhanced Protection: Black coating improves corrosion resistance
- Exceptional Grip: Football textured handle for grip
- Built Tough: Reinforced nylon sheath provides carry options
- Designed by Ken Onion in Kaneohe, Hawaii
- Limited Lifetime Warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship, see company site for details
Billhook Heavy Machete Sickle Knife
- Billhook Sickle Machete – 20 inches L Black stainless steel blade with heavy duty.
- Weeding Sickle Billhook Machete – Durable and Top Quality Blade steel with a refined edge for a dependable cut in all situations.
- Billhook Grass Sickle Machete – Ideal for survival, camping, hunting, bushcraft, land management, or surveying.
- Brush Axe Sickle – Grip rubberized handle for Comfort and control.Ease to Use.
- Heavy Duty Clearing machete – Perfect for harvest, farming, gardening, weeding sickle billhook machete.
Different Types of Machetes
When it comes to buying a machete, there are a few different types to choose from. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, so it’s important to know what to look for when buying a machete.
The three main types of machetes are:
- The Bolo machete: This is the most popular type of machete. It is a large, heavy-duty machete with a curved blade that is perfect for clearing brush and chopping through thick vegetation.
- The Parang machete: This is a slightly heavier machete with a longer blade. It is designed for more precise cutting and chopping and is perfect for tasks such as harvesting crops or cutting down small trees.
- The Panga machete: This is a lightweight machete that is perfect for slicing and dicing. It is ideal for tasks such as trimming branches or harvesting fruits and vegetables.
Features to Consider When Buying a Machete
When it comes to buying a machete, there are a few key features to look for. The most important feature is the blade. The blade should be made of high-quality steel that is tempered and heat-treated to make it durable and long-lasting. It should also have a sharp edge that can easily be sharpened when needed.
Another important feature to consider is the handle. The handle should be made of a durable material such as wood, plastic, or rubber. It should also provide a comfortable grip that won’t slip or cause blisters.
Finally, it is important to consider the weight and size of the machete. A heavy machete can be difficult to wield and can tire you out quickly.
On the other hand, a lightweight machete may not be as effective for tougher tasks. It is important to find a machete that is the right weight and size for your needs.
When it comes to finding the best machete for survival, it’s important to consider the features and benefits of each type. There are a variety of different types of machetes available, so it’s important to know what to look for when buying a machete.
When it comes to finding the best machete for survival, I hope this article has given you a better understanding of the different types of machetes available and the features to look for when buying a machete.
With the right machete, you can be sure that you’ll always be prepared for any situation.
About The Author
My name is Robert and those that know me know that I like to research and to always be prepared the best I can for whatever life brings my way. This website was born out of putting those two things together. I am married with 3 children, a dog, 2 hamsters, 3 fish, and a gecko.
There is plenty of adventures and fun situations that happen at my house. We live in a rural down home town and like to enjoy lots of time with our immediate and extended family. My primary job is in the medical field which can be an adventure of it’s own at times.
My desire for this website is for it to be a place where you can come and find products and information that will help you be prepared for whatever life throws at you.
Thanks For Reading,
*All information in this post is my opinion and gathered through my own research. Please do your own research before following any information in this post. This is for information purposes only. Also consult your doctor before taking any supplements*